Monday 10 February 2014

Recycled China Cabinet

I bought 3 old windows at yard sale this summer for $15.
I wanted to make some kind of display cabinet out of them, 
so I took two of them & bought some plywood & designed,
cut (with my son & a table saw), sanded & screwed, then painted & waxed.
I didn't touch the windows themselves, leaving them as is.
Bought all antique brass hardware from Lee Valley.




 It is pretty heavy & originally I put castors on the bottom, but the windows are so wide
that when they were open the whole cabinet tipped! YIKES!
 So we went to plan B & managed it get it hung on the wall
by screwing it right into the studs through the back of the cabinet.



Now it holds all my vintage tea pots & cups.
Also displays some Bunny Kins china that has been in
a box for the last 20 years!






I used Annie Sloan Chalk paint in Florence for the back of the cabinet.
Not the best construction, but for a first attempt it's OK. 
It sure frees up shelf space & emptied some boxes in the basement. : )


1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! I have 3 old windows I've been reluctant to sell at a garage sale (figuring they had already done their duty by me, time to cast their lot to someone else), but now seeing what you've done I can totally envision new cabinets somewhere or other. Yay!

    ReplyDelete