Wednesday 3 April 2013

Project #6: Rocking Horse Refresh.

Well I finally finished this project. It took a long time to start it & I nearly
chickened out a few times. I have not earned my title
of Master Procrastinator for nothing you know.

Anyway, I rescued this rocking horse from my neighbour's 
garbage & had it in my basement awaiting a refresh for a few months.

Before.








He was very dark & was missing his tail.


During.

In my defense, I did have to wait for the paint I ordered to arrive.
I painted the base with Annie Sloan Chalk paint in Duck Egg Blue.
The main & hooves are Coco. The saddle is Provence. 









Then I decided to paint the horse Paris Grey instead of Old White.
I also decided to remove the handles in the neck, so I sawed them off,
filled the holes with wood filler & sanded it to finish.


After.

I applied clear wax & then dark wax, sanding in spots to create 
a patina in order to make it look old. I cut some hair off an old
Halloween mask to make the tail.
















I really like the way he turned out & all it cost me was about $40 for all the paint! : )









No comments:

Post a Comment